Professional Development Application - Opterus Valerie Ann Arts Award

I will be applying for the Opterus Valerie Ann Arts Award worth $10,000. Below are my biography, artist statement, Curriculum Vitae, and a letter of intent. I will complete any other required documents when I apply. Applications open in late April 2021, and winners will be announced in August 2021.

____________________________________________________________

Artist Biography:

Kaela Murphy is a biracial artist who grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan, and currently lives and works out of Lethbridge, Alberta.  She is currently pursuing a BFA degree in Studio Art from the University of Lethbridge.  Murphy's work often includes print, and drawing, as she addresses her experiences of being a biracial woman through her work.  Her most recent work responds to her experiences of unsolicited commentary and physical interactions with others through the use of public posters.  She is interested in utilizing public space to create a public sphere in which people can be presented with an opportunity to identify with, and further understand the concerns of racial microaggressions.

____________________________________________________________

Artist Statement:

My work responds to the unsolicited commentary and physical interactions I have experienced with the people around me concerning my ethnicity and physical appearance. My practice this semester is rooted in printmaking; the 15x17 inch posters are printed on newsprint and presented outside an institutional art setting, intended to be distributed and displayed in public. I am interested in the use of posters to create a public sphere as they engage with public space. The texture of the ink upon the newsprint and the hand-carved letters indicate the direct intervention of my hand in the work. The bold presentation of the red letters layered over the black self-portrait brings attention to the harassment and racial microaggressions I face as a biracial woman.

The lettering and self-portrait were both carved out of 1/8-inch linoleum. The letters have to be carved backwards in order to have them read from left to right. Each print is comprised of three layers of ink. The self-portrait is inked in black before the text is inked first in white, then red to make the text stand out from the self-portrait.

____________________________________________________________

Letter of Intent:

To Whom It May Concern,

Please accept my attached application for the Opterus Valerie Ann Arts Award.  I believe that the funding provided by your scholarship will provide me with the opportunity to produce more works that address the issues of racism and racial microaggressions.  This funding would be applied towards the remainder of my undergraduate degree at the University of Lethbridge as well as towards a future graduate degree.  My work addresses the unsolicited commentary and physical interactions I have experienced with the people around me concerning my ethnicity and physical appearance.  I would like to continue my current work of public posters to engage the public in discussions surrounding racism and racial microaggressions.

Sincerely, 

Kaela Murphy

____________________________________________________________

Curriculum Vitae:

Kaela Murphy

Contact: murphyk@uleth.ca


Education

2016 – Present Bachelor of Fine Arts, Studio Art, University of Lethbridge, 

                                Lethbridge, Alberta.


Exhibitions

2021         Open House in Miniature, niche gallery, University of Lethbridge,

                                Lethbridge, Alberta.

2019         Advanced Drawing Exhibition (Open House), University of Lethbridge


Professional Experience

  2021                 Curatorial Team, Open House in Miniature, niche gallery

                                Lethbridge, Alberta


Publications

  2021         Open House in Miniature, The Meliorist, April 2021 Issue, 

                                Lethbridge, Alberta

____________________________________________________________


Comments