Spring Semester Proposal

Advanced Studio Proposal

Spring 2021

 This semester I will be largely focusing on relief printing as I address social interactions that center around my hair and biracial identity. My goal for the semester is to complete a set of six different printed statements layered on top of two different self-portraits. My goal for these prints is to consider their relationship to the 1920’s Agitprop posters in style as I directly address comments that are often directed at me by both strangers and those close to me. I would like to research the significance of hair in South Africa where I have family and its significance as many of the comments directed towards me relate to my hair.

 

Schedule

February

Monthly goal: Research the significance of classic 1920’s style Agitprop posters and their relevance to my linocut prints in colours, block lettering, and bold statements. Work with Lukas Studio Linol inks to troubleshoot oil halo that appears on prints and decide if I need to use different paper or purchase new inks. 


January 29 – February 5:  Research any potential material issues others may have experienced and have posted on the internet. Find resources regarding Agitprop posters. Ink and print linocut portrait from Spring 2020 on heavier Arches and Stonehenge than in previous prints. Consider diluting the ink if oil halo persists.


February 6 – 12:  Begin a list of statements I would like to carve and print. If portraits are dry, ink and print previous “I AM NOT A PETTING ZOO” over portrait and work with transparency of layered prints to try and make them more opaque. If prints are not dry, attempt carding and spinning my hair into yarn as a material exploration.


February 13 – 19:  Reading Week 


February 20 – 26:  Carve and print a new statement over old portrait. Explore the differences in carving into soft pink lino, hard grey lino, and ¼” plywood. Consider the placement of lettering on the print in regards to Agitprop and potentially shift letter placement.


March

Monthly goal:  Research the significance of hair in African culture in both slavery and non-slavery history. Carve 2nd layering statement. 


February 27 – March 5:  Explore carving techniques to depict curly hair and print tests. Research significance of hair in braiding and other styles in South African culture. Carve and print 3rd layering statement. 


March 6 – 12:  Carve and print second self-portrait. Continue research on both Agitprop and hair and consider the way they interact. Research chine collé and the significance of laminating my hair.


March 13 – 19:  Carve and print 4th layering statement. Begin work on hair laminations with Chine-Collé process.


March 20 – 26:  Make another lamination piece work, carve 5th statement. Continue research on significance of hair.


April

Monthly goal: Have a completed series of at least 6 different prints with statements layered over self-portraits prepared to display for final critique.


March 27 – April 2:  Carve 6th layering statement


April 3 – 9:  Select final prints to display for critique and install


April 10 & 11:  Final class and critique

Comments